Our Program - About the Lancaster General Philosophy
The Lancaster General Health Family Practice Residency Program is an essential component in helping our hospital meet both its charitable mission and educational vision, while continuing to promote the principle that the family practice physician is integral to holistic, compassionate health.
Medical Students know us as the benchmark by which to measure other family practice residency programs.
Residents know we are dedicated to service, learning, teamwork and personal growth.
Patients trust that they will receive competent, comprehensive and respectful care in the context of an ongoing relationship with their personal family physician.
The Community recognizes the Family Practice Residency Program as a resource for health promotion, education and service.
The Discipline of Family Medicine recognizes the clinical and academic excellence of our program.
We are an unopposed, strong and dynamic training opportunity in comprehensive health education and care delivery, provided to a diverse population in terms of age, gender, ethnicity, religion and socio-economic status.
Family physicians are expected to:
- Expand the scientific knowledge and skills needed to provide competent and comprehensive healthcare
- Learn by experiencing the realities of everyday practice and practice management
- Exhibit compassion for the patient and the family
- Educate patients about their role in and the importance of preventative and restorative healthcare
- Maintain an appropriate level of social awareness and concern for the patient's emotional needs
- Use and accept constructive criticism within the professional healthcare setting when working with colleagues in furthering therapeutic goals
- Assume the role of patient advocate within the healthcare system
- Improve the education and knowledge base of physicians within the specialty of family medicine
- Serve the community through civic, political and outreach efforts
- Set balanced priorities as a family physician, an individual and a family member
For questions or more information about the Lancaster General Health Family Medicine Residency Program, please contact our Residency Coordinator.